I suggest you ...

Hide WaveSecure, change its app name and icon

I'm experimenting with another and similar security application called Mobile Defense http://www.mobiledefense.com/.
One good feature which Mobile Defense has but Wave Secure lacks is that after you install Mobile Defense and reboot your phone, application is no more visible. Even if you go to settings and choose "Manage Applications" - it is not there! So, if a phone is stolen, a thief cannot know that he is tracked.
On the other side, it means that Mobile Defense could only be operated from a computer, while Wave Secure could be used on a phone to initiate backup, etc.
Personally, I would consider removing (hiding) Wave Secure from a list of applications, but leaving it accessible through Settings -> Manage Applications path. And maybe - renaming it and changing its icon to something not so prominent and possible - user-defined. What do you think?

Vladimir Kelman
Web developer, Android fan
http://webofandroids.blogspot.com/
https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BmGAqdR7kA

117 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    vkelmanvkelman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  prashastAdminprashast (Admin, WaveSecure) responded  · 

Interesting idea!

We have been looking for ways to prevent an unauthorized removal of WaveSecure.

Hiding its presence is one possibility.

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom TTom T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - simply use Theft Aware it offers all this functionality and is really sophisticated - and still it is easy to use.

• David TroutDavid Trout commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've looked at mobiledefence and those who download their app in the android market are prompted to download another app at their website and delete the original market app. That is because even if an app changed it's name on the first true name would remain in the market. After that all app upgrades are managed at the website. It gets a bit involved.

It seems a good percentage of the risk of the app being removed would be removed if people used their lock screen. But I suppose human nature being what it is people could use the simple layer of protection of renaming the app in the phone list. If the the theft is looking on the market at your apps your phone data communication is on and the app can work for while.

• Martin GreyMartin Grey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hide it? Yes!
        (being new maybe this is done already, not found it yet)
        If the owner does actually want to remove it, then have the software send an authorisation request to the users WEB account.
        The owner then has to login and confirm removal.
        If the phone is under attack it can act like an alert, so getting the owner to login and deal with the situation that little bit sooner.

• Brandon SPikeBrandon SPike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A good idea to have it accessible but still hidden is to put a like a calculator or game app on top of it, and have to do something in the app to get to the settings

• glasgowguyglasgowguy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be possible to access the application through a 'hidden' means such as entering a 'star hash' (*#) code into the dialer in Android. This probably isn't possible to do, but would be a great way to hide the app from view.

As for preventing uninstalls, if you have an Android phone that is rooted, you can install it in the system partition if you want, making it impossible to remove through normal means

Feedback and Knowledge Base