I suggest you ...

Remotely turn on GPS

Turn the GPS on from the WaveSecure website to allow GPS tracking of a lost phone.

418 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  RoyAdminRoy (Admin, WaveSecure) responded  · 

UPDATE: From v3.1.0.4, We have updated the application to remotely turn on GPS if you are using a rooted phone, irrespective of the Android version you are running. More details: https://www.wavesecure.com/blog/how-to-make-wavesecure-hard-reset-proof.aspx

For non-rooted users, Android (1.5 onwards) doesn’t allow apps to turn on GPS without user intervention. Of course, if we prompt the user to turn on GPS it defeats the whole purpose of silently tracking your phone.

Other platforms – WM, BlackBerry and Symbian support this.

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well I defenately must also work without rooting the phone. If I can do it with Tasker, why cant wave secure do it??????

• julianjulian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im confused! ... why state remote activation of GPS is an option in the latest change log (for root users at least) if it could only possibly work on Android versions of less than 1.5?

Surely the vast majority of Android users are on V 1.5 and up these days?

• OumOum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I see in changelog for version 3.1.0.4 you've added abbility to turn GPS on for root users. I'm on a Hero with Android 1.5 rooted, but see nothing in options about that... ?

• Mike DeVitaMike DeVita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree,
        Do like mobile defense does and if the app is installed as a system app then allow enable of GPS.

This feature right here is the only reason why i prefer mobile defense over wavesecure.

• David CastellaniDavid Castellani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the limitations you guys are talking about in regards to apps not being able to turn on GPS.

However, as far as wavesecure is concerned, this is a must. If you succesfully lock the phone before they get to uninstalling wave secure, and they ditch your phone, the AGPS location is useless. In my test, it would put me within three blocks of the phone, but thats still pretty useless.

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Root users can take good use of this... big time. Why not hve the app try to do it, if it is not able to access GPS switch, let it work in its standard mode, if its possible to get root access then good for the user!

• naguznaguz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I am not mistaken,it is again possible to automaticly switch GPS on (and off) in android >=2.0

• gwderinggwdering commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure Tencube would love to do this, and become the choice of Motorola and Verizon and others to become a native app at the level of a firmware extension. Android 2.x could certainly support blocking of unacknowledged GPS starting, by any applications OTHER than the security function of the OS extension.

If "WM, Blackberry and Symbian support this" it should be acceptable to Verizon and other cellular providers that use system locks (root locks) on their phones.

The level of hardware / firmware / software / data security described would however compromise the phone user's privacy, and so, the phone buyer should be able to have the "unacknowledged tracking" feature removed by the carrier upon request.

The fact is that the features of Wavesecure would be a VERY valuable selling point for any phone supplier. The ability of a phone to lockup and transmit it's location data to the "Wireless carrier" (cellular service provider) and the phone's rightful owner is more valuable than the replacement cost of the device itself.

• spaceboy2000spaceboy2000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and later does block GPS from being turned on...unless the phone is rooted and application is installed as a system app. Then the app can turn on GPS at will. However, it would probably be best to remotely enable GPS using SMS instead of automatically turning the GPS on - if a user has GPS turned off, it's probably because the user wants to save battery life.

Feedback and Knowledge Base